Fighting criminal fraud charges and protecting reputations
Identity theft is a white collar criminal offense that can be prosecuted in state and federal courts. Choosing an attorney to represent you against serious fraud charges requires care and research. Neff & Sedacca is a Philadelphia-based criminal defense law firm whose experience and reputation were built over the past 30 years. They have the skill and tenacity to aggressively defend against fraud charges and prevent damage to your personal and professional reputation.
Credit card fraud is the most common form of identity theft, but criminal charges can result from many types of misuse of personal information. Neff & Sedacca has in-depth understanding of the range of identity theft crimes and the newer, stricter laws put in place by Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and other states, as well as by the federal government. This team successfully represented corporate and business executives, professionals, public officials, and others who have been charged with identity theft and other serious fraud crimes.
Types of identity theft
Identify theft is the acquisition and use of financial or personal information for the sole purpose of assuming the owner’s identity for financial gain. Credit card fraud is the most reported and therefore the most commonly known form of identity theft. But this type of fraud can be committed in other ways, including:
- Financial identify theft that extends beyond credit card or bank account takeover to falsely obtain loans or additional credit accounts,
- Medical identity information used to commit fraud involving health insurance and medical coverage,
- Criminal identity theft in which a driver’s license or other identification is presented to law enforcement in response to a criminal charge,
- Social Security identity theft used to defraud the government for benefits or to falsely obtain a passport or other documents,
- Child identity theft which involves the misuse of a minor child’s information or Social Security number to commit crimes or defraud the government, and
- Synthetic identity theft in which information from several different victims is combined to create a new identity.
As a fraud crime that can result in misdemeanor or felony charges, identity theft accusations of any kind require a careful, meticulous defense. With offices based in Philadelphia, The attorneys at Neff & Sedacca defend individuals and corporations facing criminal fraud charges throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey, across the United States and, in cases that require it, internationally.
Facing criminal fraud charges related to identity theft
Acts of identity theft are often accompanied by related offenses that can lead to additional criminal charges. These may include such serious matters as internet and computer crimes, forgery, larceny, bank fraud, and wire and mail fraud.
It is important to fight charges of identify theft with immediate help from an experienced legal team. With early intervention by a criminal defense trial lawyer, you can improve your chances of minimizing negative consequences. With the assistance of highly trained para professionals, investigators, and experts in accounting, finance, and other specialized areas, Neff & Sedacca may be able to resolve the identity theft investigation in your favor even before criminal charges are filed.
If you believe that you are under investigation, have been subpoenaed before a grand jury or arrested and charged with a crime, contact Neff & Sedacca, PC for a confidential consultation by phone at (215) 563-9800 or email at info@NeffSedacca.com.